Homeowners should know at least a few furnace troubleshooting tips. This includes knowing when is the best time to schedule furnace maintenance, which is sometime between late summer and early fall. This way, your furnace is ready to provide you with warm air when the cold season arrives. Although your furnace is the last thing on your mind during summer, keeping it in tiptop shape is vital. Its performance will ensure that your home remains safe, warm, and comfortable when you need it the most.
Basic maintenance checks include identifying all potential issues early. This way, they are resolved before you need to use your furnace. It is especially essential for aging and overworked systems.
This article will tackle some of the common indicators that your furnace needs repair. It also includes a few furnace repair tips that’ll help you when you think there is something wrong with your heating system. When your furnace is malfunctioning, it is recommended that you get professional HVAC assistance. For this reason, we have included several tips when looking for the best furnace HVAC company in the area.
Do You Need Furnace Repair?
- 1 Do You Need Furnace Repair?
- 2 Tips For Choosing A Furnace Repair Service Company
- 3 Get In Touch With R.F. Ohl For All Of Your Furnace Repair Needs
Your furnace’s age affects its operation. However, it is not necessarily the sole cause of the need for a furnace repair. Even newly installed systems are susceptible to damage and neglect. Here are some of the indicators that can help you determine if you need to call for a furnace repair:
- Lower Comfort Level: A house that does not become comfortable despite the system running continuously might be a sign that you have a faulty furnace. Some of the reasons include a damaged fan motor, a loose belt, dirty air filters, or general wear and tear.
- Increased Utility Bills: A furnace in excellent working condition consumes less energy. A malfunctioning furnace’s efficiency drastically decreases. This is seen in your monthly heating bills. If you notice a sudden spike in your energy consumption without a reasonable explanation, contact a trained HVAC technician to inspect your heating unit.
- Hot/Cold Spots: Cold spots around your house are due to uneven heating. This is often caused by worn, damaged, or clogged components. Have your heating unit checked right away when you feel cold or hot spots around your home.
- Gas Leak: The moment you smell gas near your furnace, switch it off right away and contact your trusted HVAC repair company. Do not let it continue running when there are leaks because it increases the chance of fire. Keep in mind that even a small spark can lead to a fire when there is gas leakage.
How To Troubleshoot Your Furnace
Not all heating system issues you’ll encounter down the line needs professional attention. There are easy and simple fixes that even an untrained person can do. These basic repairs allow your heater to continue operating efficiently. Here are some of them:
- Check The Furnace Filter: Dirty filters prevent proper airflow and reduce your home’s indoor air quality. Neglecting it further increases fire risks and leads to premature breakdowns. Make sure to check the filter regularly. Get it cleaned or replaced when needed.
- Change Batteries & Clean The Thermostat: The thermostat batteries should be replaced with fresh ones from time to time. Remove dust and dirt on the thermostat as well. Use a dry cloth or a soft brush to remove these particulates.
- Ensure It Receives Power: If your furnace isn’t working, check the switch and electrical panel. Someone might have turned off the electrical breaker, and this might be why your system isn’t working. Also, check if there are any damaged, discolored, or melted fuses and replace them when necessary.
- Check The Pilot Light: The pilot light and furnace flame should be on. If you need to relight it, make sure to read and understand the manual and follow the instructions. Check for any leaks before relighting. If there are any, shut off your furnace and contact your local HVAC technician immediately.
- Move Vent Blockages: Warm air is released via the vents and registers. Any blockages can affect your furnace’s operation and efficiency. Move all furniture or plants that are obstructing the vents. Open them if they are closed as well. This way, the air flows smoothly around your house.
What Are Some Of The Common Furnace Repairs?
Listed below are a few of the common furnace repairs you might encounter down the line:
- Worn Ball Bearing: A scraping sound can be an indication that your furnace has worn ball bearings. These need to be replaced by an HVAC professional as soon as possible.
- Loose Or Damaged Blower Belt: On the other hand, a high-pitched squeal can be a sign of a damaged or loose blower belt. Have your trusted heating tech conduct a checkup and replace it when needed.
- Yellowish Or Flickering Pilot Light: Pilot lights are blue with a yellow tip. If the color is mostly yellow and flickering, there is a high level of carbon monoxide in the furnace. Call a furnace technician immediately.
- Short Cycling: A short cycling furnace turns on and off in quick successions. This can be caused by a clogged filter, a blocked exhaust vent, your thermostat might be in the wrong spot, among others. If simple troubleshooting does not work, call an HVAC technician.
- Damaged Heat Exchanger: An unusual smell around your furnace can be due to leakage. This might be due to a cracked heat exchanger. Other signs to look out for include corrosion and soot.
Deciding When To Repair Or Replace Your Furnace
There are times when repairs can solve furnace problems. There are also some times when you need to think about purchasing a replacement unit. Age is one of the factors you need to consider. A unit that is over 15 years old and is used continuously might be up for replacement. Poor performance and low energy efficiency are other things. Your heating system might not be operating as well as it used to. You might also notice that your heating bills have been increasing over the years despite regular maintenance. If your system also needs frequent repairs, then opt for a replacement.
Tips For Choosing A Furnace Repair Service Company
Having an excellent heating and cooling company you can call when something goes wrong with your system is a great feeling. You can rest easy knowing that your system will be back in perfect working order in no time. A trustworthy HVAC repair service company will also keep the hassle and inconvenience to a minimum.
The only issue is that it’s not easy to find a reputable HVAC company. Most homeowners have had unpleasant experiences at some point with a repair company. The tech might have been late or was a no-show. Sometimes, if they did arrive, the tech couldn’t find the issue and they might even cause more damage than was there initially. Therefore, we have included a short guide below that you can use when searching for an HVAC company you can rely on.
Find A Heating Company That Specializes In Heating
Look for a company instead of an individual repairer. Make sure that the company specializes in heating systems. This way, you get people who have extensive knowledge and training when dealing with all brands and models of furnaces. Furthermore, you are assured they know what to look for when performing a furnace inspection.
Working with a company also means you can work with multiple HVAC contractors. This way, if one cannot resolve the issue, another from the same company might be able to. A trustworthy company is an investment. It might be pricier than going for cheap furnace repairs. However, the peace of mind that you’ll get with a reputable HVAC company is priceless. Not only that, but you do not have to pay twice for the same repair in case the first one doesn’t work out.
Look Into The Website & Read Reviews
The next thing you need to do is to check the HVAC company website. This allows you to get a general feel of the company. The website should look professional, have the information you need, and has a high production value. Red flags include an outdated website that does not include a lot of information.
Websites often include customer reviews as well. Reviews can answer some of the questions you might have about the company. These include their response time, how professional they were, and if the techs are friendly and knowledgeable. These reviews are generally helpful. However, keep in mind that the company also controls what gets published on the website.
To read both good and bad reviews, check Google, social media pages, and other platforms. The companies being reviewed cannot control what gets posted, so you get to read real reviews. This allows you to get a better grasp of what the company is truly like. Search for terms like “furnace repair company near me” or “gas furnace repair near my location” to find one in your area.
Get In Touch With The Heating Repair Company
Once you have a particular furnace repair company in mind, make sure you talk to them on the phone. Speaking to a representative of the company lets you know how the company treats its customers. It also gives you an idea of what the company principles and values are. If the person sounds happy, knowledgeable, and eager to help, you are likely in great hands. Be wary if the representative sounds annoyed, confused, and disinterested. Go with your instinct. Give the company a chance if you get a good feeling with them on the phone.
Get In Touch With R.F. Ohl For All Of Your Furnace Repair Needs
A skilled and certified HVAC technician is vital in ensuring accurate and prompt heating system repair. An untrained homeowner should never treat furnace repairs as a do-it-yourself project. A tech can assess, diagnose, and fix your system correctly. Make sure you find the right HVAC company to perform the quality of work you need.
If you are looking for an excellent furnace repair company, get in touch with R.F. Ohl. Our company has the best professionally-certified technicians in the area. We offer high-quality HVAC services, including repairs, maintenance, installations, and replacements. Furthermore, we guarantee affordable furnace repair prices. We can also assist you if you need to replace your current system. By working with us, you can feel the peace of mind that we will determine the most suitable make and model while working within your budget. Schedule a free, no-obligation, in-home consultation with us. Call R.F. Ohl today.